3 Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your Bin Hire
Updated: Feb 26
Let's be honest - skip bin hire ain't cheap. We know it, and if you've been ringing around for quotes, then you definitely know it too.
What most people don't know is WHY the price is up there. Before we get into making the most of your bin hire, it's important you know what you're paying for so real quick, this is why:
- Fuel costs; yes, fuel costs, especially if you're over 30 minutes away, more so if we have to take toll roads. Every cent counts.
- Landfill; waste management costs are way up there - this makes up the bulk of the bin hire price. Whilst we offer you flat hire rates, the tips charge us per tonne.
- Labour; it's an obvious one but we have to pay our drivers, the office team and our super special hand sorters in the warehouse. Yup - we have our very own private transfer station.
This means we bring everything - and I mean everything - back to the depot to be hand sorted first. This is to ensure we are separating all recyclable materials from actual waste and do our part in minimising waste going to landfills.
- Overheads; bit of a vague word but this covers bills (water, power, gas, etc), mechanics, truck parts, gloves, etc,. Basically, any costs associated with running a business. The bigger a company, the bigger the overheads which in turn means an increase in skip bin hire prices.
Now, for the meat of this particular blog post, here are 3 tips to make the most of your skip bin hire:
1. BREAK IT DOWN: If you've got a cabinet, bed frame, book shelf - anything else that is made up of pieces - break it all down before placing it in the bin. You'll be surprised how much more you'll be able to fit in!
2. WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER: Before you start filling the skip bin, think how you can make the most of the space. Should the mattresses go along the bottom, on the top or standing up against the back of the bin (yes, we take mattresses and at no extra charge too!)? Maybe you could fill in the small gaps with little bits and pieces (like toys, table legs, little bags of rubbish, etc) as you go? Got empty boxes? Flatten them first. Glass? Wrap it up in bits of old clothing so nobody hurts themselves flinging it in the bin. Ensure you have help - DON'T even try to throw something heavy or over-sized by yourself. I mean after all, what are kids and teens for if not for a bit of child labour every now and again?😉 Which reminds me, before I move on to the next point - wear gloves. Trust me, splinters ain't easy to get out and it's a nuisance to boot. Plus, you don't want the kids to use it as an excuse NOT to help!😉 You can thank me later for that one 😂
3. TIMING: Nothing is more frustrating than booking in your skip bin only to find nobody is available to help you fill it or the weather sucks. Ensure you have helping hands available before you book the bin. Sure, you could definitely fill a bin in the pouring rain but you'd be having a miserable time of it. Plus, wet weather means slippery conditions which could result in injury. I'd recommend checking the weather in advance before hiring your bin. Now hang on a minute, is that bin filling up fast or is it just me? If you feel you need another bin and in a hurry, call up your bin hire company to let them know ASAP. That way, if the timing's just right, they'll swap the bin over for you so you can just keep on going!
Well, would ya look at that? You're an expert on skip bin hire already! Bet you didn't think you'd be learning much when it came to bin hire hey? I'm just glad I could teach an old dog new tricks! 😉😂
Now don't forget, we hire out all sized bins from 4m3 to 12m3 bins or larger and we take all types of waste (green waste, household waste, building waste, renovation waste, etc). Call us now on 03 9354 6996 for all your skip bin hire needs today!